May 1, 2017

Grimteef da Widowmaker

With all of the info coming out about the next edition of Warhammer 40k, I've grown pretty optimistic about the direction of the game. It sounds like they've taken some of the most successful bits of AoS, combined them 40k, and even pulled out some elements of Rogue Trader (vehicles have Armour Saves and Wounds like everything else). The core rule set will be free and consists of 14 pages. Most of Universal Special Rules will be replaced by unit specific rules that will be included on the unit Data Slate. I don't know exactly how it will turn out in the full reveal, but I am encouraged with the info so far.

In any case, I was inspired to paint up the first 40k model I've worked on in several years (my last blog post with new minis was 2014, but I'm not sure if it's actually been that long).

Grimteef da Widowmaker has been the leader of my beloved Ork horde since 3rd edition. I decided it was time to update this monster and furthermore I decided I wanted something more unique than the models GW currently has available. I love the new Orruk models AoS and yesterday I dropped by my local GW shop to pick up the Ironjawz Megaboss. I scrounged through the pile of other Ork kits I had on hand to come up with more Dakka and here is the terrifying result!







This lad is HUGE. There was a bit of cutting and filing needed as the newer kits tend to have strange joins (rather than simple flat shoulder joints to add arms, etc), but I didn't need to resort of greenstuff. The right hand proved the most troubling and I had to trim away quit a bit of the original gauntlet to make the fit, but I was able to cover an unsightly job with a spiky bit of armour. All of the Orky glyphs are decals, but the checkerboard racing stripes were painted freehand. As a bonus, the entire project, from purchase to photography was accomplished in under 24 hours!

Somehow, I don't seem to have any photos of my Ork army that aren't more than ten years old and I'll have to remedy that in the future, but I'll include Grimteef wading through his minions. I'm anxious to see the new point values, but my army currently sits at something around over 7000 points! I probably have another 2000 points tucked away in cupboards still in their original shrink wrap (Yesterday, I found three boxes of Meganobz and a Morkanaught I didn't even know I had).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the new game and leading the Waaaagh across the galaxy!

13 comments:

  1. "and a Morkanaught I didn't even know I had)."

    not something you get to say everyday! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... nope. Today I also found two bike mobs...

      Delete
  2. Holy crap dude! He's amazing! My memory is probably going in my old age, but I think that's the best paint job I've seen in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not sure I did anything different paint-wise... it's just a badass model! Been a while since I painted anything GW.

      Delete
  3. That is fantastic! Awesome work, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely magnificent beast you've got there! :)

    Just curious, what's the source of the shoulder-skull?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The shoulder skull is part of the Age of Sigmar Orruk Warboss kit. It almost looks like a tyranid skull. It's what first inspired me to use the model as a 40 conversion!

      Delete
    2. Indeed, it's pretty awesome. I think that I've seen more orruks converted into nobz and bosses than I've seen in their originally intended forms, and that's not a bad thing, as evidenced by how great this conversion came out!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that has to bee one of the Coolest Ork bosses Ive seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb conversion work! I have high hopes for WH40k 8th edition - I've also got an Ork army that was built and part-painted, your model has inspired me to push them up the painting queue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys!

    Steven I am really hoping 8th edition returns the game to something I want to play. I too am hopeful and encouraged by what we've seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great looking figure! i'm looking forward to the new version of 40k too

    ReplyDelete